- The goal of this tutorial is to experientially
engage students in the topic of culture and particularly,
- In pairs, then fours or sixes or whole class.
- When in larger groups, introduce the story behind partner's name.
Survey on Social Interactions [15 mins] [Handout]
- What are you thoughts about this survey? What does it
Stages of Cultural Adaptation (Winkelman, 1994)
- Honeymoon or tourist phase
- Crisis or cultural shock phase
- Adjustment, reorientation, and gradual recovery phase
- Adaptation, resolution, or acculturation phase
Cultural Mapping [30-45 mins] [Handout]
- Cultural mapping is a sociocultural training technique.
- Functions as a 'map' in new social territory
- Makes explicit unwritten ways of behaving
- Define competency, e.g., Disagreeing with someone
- What have you observed people do when they effectively disagree
in the mainstream culture?
- Many different behaviors -> create a 'cultural map' or list of
appropriate behavioral responses (include non-verbal)
- Structure using ABCD model
- Attending, Bridging, Commenting, Developing/Closing
Winkelman, M. (1994). Cultural shock and adaptation. Journal of
Counseling & Development, 73, 121-126.