What Does Your Team Look Like?
Team Building Basics
|Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
- Henry Ford
Team Building Quotes
- A team is a group of people who come together temporarily to achieve a
- There is no magic formula for "building a team".
- Teams are organic - they grow and change.
- By studying how individuals, groups and teams work you will enhance your
capability of helping teams learn how to work together effectively.
- Improving teams
usually requires a combination of improving work skills,
understanding of others, communication and negotiation skills, and
problem solving skills. Experiential learning offers a rich
framework and methodology for real-life and real-situation development of team
- Team building is not easy, but there are several techniques, principles
and methods which can make a real difference, including:,
- Team building is tied to personal development --
team development requires members individual team members to grow and develop
-- as an
individual's personal growth unfolds, so too does their capacity to
participate in and thrive in group situations.
- The closer the correspondence between team goals and
individual goals, the greater the sum of individual motivations for succeeding
together. (Check out Field
Theory by Kurt Lewin, also Buckminster Fuller)
- Group dynamics are the unseen
psycho-social forces that operate amongst groups of people. Team dynamics
are the cocktail
of interpersonal chemistry which, if effectively harnessed, can provide
considerable power for reaching collective goals.
- Group dynamics can be brazenly characterised as
explosively positive, dull/neutral, or explosively negative. So watch
out if you're going to tinker with groups -- anything can and usually does
happen. The more experience you have the better, but experience is no
cause for complacency or conceit, since every group situation is unique.